It’s no secret that the list of possible adventures in Daytona Beach is a mile long. And although it’s a blast to splash about the water park or round the corner at Daytona International Speedway at top speeds, some of the best parts of the Daytona Beach area are its natural beauty.
Here are six of the best spots in the area to watch the sunrise:
- Your hotel – Daytona Beach has a wide variety of accommodations, including oceanfront hotel rooms that won’t break the bank. What’s more, you won’t have to wander far to catch a view. Your hotel room veranda is the perfect venue to soak in the sun rising over the Atlantic. Grab a cup of coffee, take a deep breath, and sit back to enjoy the scene.
- The beach – There’s nothing quite like feeling the day come to life in a place so stunning. Lace up your sneakers for an early morning exercise session, or wiggle your toes in the sand with coffee in hand for a sunrise stroll. With 23 miles of beaches at your disposal, you’ll catch a glimpse of pure Daytona Beach beauty before the rest of the world awakens.
- Highland Park Fish Camp – Listen up, nature lovers! Consider this full-service marina as the starting point for your next sunrise trek. Go for a guided fishing trip with Coast Guard-licensed captains to some of the best bass-fishing locations in Florida. Bass boat and pontoon boat rentals are also available. Open daily at 6 a.m.
- Ponce Inlet Watersports – Head out to Ponce Inlet for a peaceful morning and unobstructed views of the sunrise. Kayak rentals and stand-up paddleboard tours are both available, but you’ll need to call in advance to plan the early outing with the staff.
- Ames Park – Situated on the Halifax River, this 2.2-acre area opens at dawn and offers excellent views of the sun rising over the water. The land was originally owned by former Union Army General Adelbert Ames, and now it offers a fishing pier, pavilion, picnic area, scenic walking path and restrooms to the public.
- Early Morning Yoga – Join certified yoga instructors on the beach to get your day started with a gentle morning flow. With a waterfront view and a morning breeze, there’s no better way to greet the day. Classes are offered by reservation only, and it all depends on the weather — view the website for more information.
Sunrises in Daytona Beach are pure magic — you’ll wish you could stop the world from turning and live in that moment forever. True, the sun will continue to rise and the day will press on, but here, that simply means a new day of possibilities and endless fun.
After a morning kicked off with a soothing sunrise and a day full of outdoor adventures, find the cherry on top — a beautiful sunset. Explore one of these top spots in the Daytona Beach area, and be sure to snap a picture! Be sure to share your pictures with us on Facebook and tag @DaytonaBeach, follow us on Twitter and tag @DaytonaBeachFun, and be sure to tag us on Instagram using @DiscoverDaytonaBeach. And, use the hashtag #LoveDaytonaBeach when documenting your excursions for a chance to be featured on our page.
Send your selfie from one of these spots:
- Boat charters.
There’s perhaps no more peaceful place to experience a sunset than out on the water, entirely surrounded by Daytona Beach’s natural beauty. There are a number of boats available to charter, ranging from inlet skiffs to large catamarans and yachts. Or, opt for a scenic boat tour aboard The Manatee. Pilot the boat under the eye of an experienced captain, or kick back with a cool beverage and simply soak in the view — you can’t go wrong.
- Climb to the Moon
Trek up all 203 steps to the top of Florida’s tallest lighthouse, and you’ll be rewarded with a sunset from a bird’s eye view. Once a lunar month, Ponce Inlet Lighthouse hosts Climb to the Moon, a special event that’s limited to just 25 guests. The journey begins just before sunset with top-tier panoramic views of the Atlantic Ocean, Ponce Inlet and the inland waterways. As the sun fades and the moon rises over the ocean, guests can toast with a sparkling beverage and hors d’oeuvres provided by Off the Hook at Inlet Harbor restaurant.
- Our Deck Down Under
For more incredible views of the sun sinking into the Halifax River, another wonderful option is Our Deck Down Under in Port Orange. Situated under the Dunlawton Bridge, this local hot spot is known for excellent service, seafood platters and its signature burger.
- International Speedway Bridge
Though perhaps not the most conventional sunset experience of sitting back to enjoy the view, you can get an expansive view from this recognizable Daytona Beach landmark. Put on your most comfortable shoes and go for a brisk walk with your significant other on the pedestrian sidewalk, or time your drive to dinner correctly and catch the view from your car. As breathtaking as the sunset may be, don’t forget to watch where you’re going — safety comes first!
- The beach (again!)
The Daytona Beach shoreline deservedly gets a second spot in this roundup, because it’s just as spellbinding at sunset as it is at sunrise! Though the sun doesn’t set over the ocean here since we’re on the East Coast, the watercolor effect on the water and sky is still magical. Come experience golden hour on the beach and learn why so many lovebirds choose to have engagement photos made here!