Ponce Inlet Historical Museum
- 4300 South Atlantic Avenue
- Ponce Inlet, FL 32127
- (386) 236-2163
The Hasty Cottage/Post Office was built in the 1880’s by Nathaniel and Elizabeth Hasty. It was originally used as a fishing camp, and then later converted to a Post Office. Ellen Mary Meyer, the wife of lighthouse keeper Edward Meyer, worked as its last Postmistress in what was then known as Ponce Park.
Both homes feature cracker-style architecture. The Meyer-Davis House has a metal roof, raised floor, large porch, and straight central hallway characterize the former residence of Edward Meyer, Ponce Inlet’s last civilian lighthouse keeper. The structure was built in 1922 as a vacation rental by Redwood Wharton Sr. But his son, Redwood Jr., founder of the Inlet Harbor Restaurant, decided against renting and instead sold it to Meyer. The tiny home remained in the family with Edward’s daughter, Gladys Meyer-Davis and son in law Earl raising their two daughters there.
The house stayed in the family until Earl and Gladys Davis, sold it to the Town in 2003. Both cottages were set for demolition until their daughter Julie Davis, worked with the town to restore the pair and convert them to a museum and welcome center. Admission is free, but donations are welcome. The museum also has several free events throughout the year.
The Meyer/Davis House and the Hasty Cottage were both listed on the National Register of Historic Place in 2015.
10:00 am - 2:00 pm