Think of summer in Daytona Beach and what comes to mind? White sand, gentle surf, warm sun and sandcastles, of course! Looking for something different to do this summer? Here’s five unique events and activities happening in Daytona Beach:
1. Coke Zero 400 NASCAR Cup Race, July 1 – Join fans coming from all over this Independence Day weekend to share in the momentous experience of watching Dale Earnhardt Jr., the third-winningest driver in Daytona International Speedway history, take to the track one last time in this fan-favorite race. Complete with Tyler Farr pre-race concert and a post-race fireworks show not-to-be missed.
2. Walk, Ride or Drive for Love, July 9 – If you’ve ever wanted to take a lap around Daytona International Speedway on your motorcycle or in your car, now’s your chance. For a $25 donation to support Shriners Hospitals for Children, participants can walk through the UNOH Fanzone, garage area and Victory Lane; ride their motorcycle or get behind the wheel of their car and drive a lap around the most famous track in racing.
3. Halifax Summer Regatta, July 29-30 – Two days of rowing competition on the Halifax River with teams and rowers converging from Florida, Georgia, North Carolina and beyond. This 21st annual event begins on Saturday with the Junior competition and continues Sunday with Open, Masters and Adaptive competitions.
4. National Lifeguard Competition, August 9-12 – The United States Lifesaving Association, in conjunction with the Volusia Surf Lifesaving Association, is bringing four days of intense competition to Daytona Beach during the 2017 National Lifeguard Championships. Spectators will see nearly 3,000 top youth and adult athletes compete in board races, surf swims, surf boat races, beach flag and rescue races, running relays, iron man/woman events and a 2K beach run. These high-energy life-saving rescue missions will be performed on the hard-packed sands that Volusia County is known for as well as in the open water of the Atlantic. The Junior Lifeguard Championship will be August 9 and the adult competitions are August 10-12. The events, complete with celebrity commentators and vendors, will take place directly in front of the Hilton Daytona Beach Oceanfront Resort.
5. New indoor ropes course and zipline – Daytona Lagoon, a water park and year-round family entertainment center in Daytona Beach, just opened the Sky Maze featuring 10 challenging obstacles 12 feet above the MEGA arcade and a 70-foot zipline running the length of the course. Daytona Lagoon just fully renovated its indoor laser tag arena, too. This United Parks subsidiary also offers family fun with the Lagoon water park, go-karts, miniature golf and rock wall.